This web site might comprise affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we are able to present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
Tomato chutney is a candy and savory condiment bursting with tomato taste, scrumptious spices, vinegar, and brown sugar. Finest identified for being the proper pairing for Indian delicacies, tomato chutney is a superb addition to curries, naan bread, and charcuterie boards.
I positive do love an excellent sauce on the facet of my meals for dipping! It simply makes the meal so a lot better as a result of who doesn’t like to dip? It is best to undoubtedly strive my yum yum sauce, my do-it-yourself cheese sauce, or this buffalo sauce. I need to drizzle these sauces on all the pieces and I do know you’ll too!
What Is Tomato Chutney?
Tomato chutney is the mixture of tomatoes, spices, and vinegar slowly cooked right down to create a thick and flavorful sauce. When you’ve got by no means had tomato chutney, then you might be in for a deal with! It’s one of the best as a result of it may be served with many various dishes and even as an appetizer! It has a fantastic mixture of candy and savory, and the flavors actually make the tomatoes stand out!
Not solely is that this recipe tremendous simple to make, however it shops so effectively in your fridge and can last as long as 3 months! Which makes it a fantastic recipe to make forward of time for all the yummy dishes that you need to use it in. You possibly can eat this heat, chilly, or at room temperature. I completely love consuming this with some scrumptious naan bread. It makes a fantastic snack or perhaps a facet dish to some tikka masala!
Elements Wanted For Tomato Chutney
In case you are like me and your backyard is bursting with tomatoes in the course of the fall, this recipe is ideal for you! And one of the best half about it’s that it’ll final you a number of months, particularly in the event you make multiple batch! To search out all the ingredient measurements, take a look at the recipe card on the backside of the put up.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps cook dinner and soften the shallot and garlic.
- Shallot: I like utilizing shallots, however be happy to make use of a white onion if that’s what you have got available.
- Garlic: Garlic at all times provides one of the best taste. It’s a MUST!
- Tomatoes: Recent tomatoes are my favourite, however you need to use canned ones if you need.
- Brown Sugar: Just a bit brown sugar provides a scrumptious caramelly sweetness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Vinegar is a should in chutney as a result of it provides tanginess and helps protect the chutney. Substitute with crimson wine vinegar!
- Floor Ginger: Ginger is a scrumptious spice utilized in lots of Indian cuisines.
- Cumin: I like the smoky taste of cumin!
- Chili Powder: Chili powder is a scrumptious spice on this recipe!
- Salt: Salt helps steadiness and improve the flavors.
Methods to Make Tomato Chutney
This one-pot tomato chutney recipe simply comes collectively so that you can get pleasure from! Simply enable your self time for the chutney to cook dinner slowly and simmer on the range. It may be cooking and doing its factor when you give attention to the opposite issues in life that preserve you busy! Simply set your timer and are available again when it’s cooked and able to be mashed!
- Saute the Shallot and Garlic: In a big skillet, add the olive oil, shallot, and garlic and warmth over medium-high warmth. Gently sauté till they start to melt.
- Add the Tomatoes, Sugar, Vinegar, and Spices: Add within the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, ginger, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Then stir to mix.
- Simmer and Prepare dinner: Simmer for 1 hour, often stirring, till the chutney reduces to a jammy consistency.
- Mash or Mix: As soon as cooked, take away from warmth and mash by hand or pulse in a meals processor or blender. I desire chutney on the chunkier facet, however be happy to make it chunky or easy.
- Serve: Enable to chill and serve, or retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge till prepared to make use of.
Suggestions and Variations
Tomato chutney is simple, and you’ll tweak it to be much less candy and even spicier! Everybody can get pleasure from this dip, and I even serve it to my vegan and gluten-free associates. I hope you discover my suggestions useful!
- Scale back the Sugar: The sweetness of your chutney can depend upon how candy your tomatoes are. Merely style and alter the sugar in the event you desire it sweeter. Begin out by including rather less sugar since you need to have the ability to management the sweetness. It’s also possible to use honey, agave, or granulated sugar in the event you desire.
- Make it Spicy: Be happy so as to add crimson chili pepper flakes so as to add some warmth!
- Use Any Tomatoes: I exploit massive vine-ripened tomatoes, however Roma tomatoes or canned tomatoes work nice too!
- Thicken it Up: Chutney has the same consistency to jam. To ensure that your chutney to thicken, simply be affected person as a result of it has to chill with the intention to thicken! It’s also possible to combine two tablespoons of cornflour with one teaspoon of vinegar and stir into your chutney till it has thickened.
- Extra Serving Concepts: Not solely are you able to serve this with Indian dishes, however you need to use it as a variety on burgers, sandwiches, or on crackers. I additionally love including it to a cheese board and spreading it on toast.
Storing tomato chutney is simple, and you need to use it repeatedly for so long as it lasts! Pull it out of the fridge everytime you want a spoonful. Comply with my easy suggestions under for storing this lip-smacking condiment.
- Within the Fridge: As soon as your chutney has cooled, then you’ll be able to retailer it in an hermetic jar or container. Chutney stays recent for as much as 3 months within the fridge!
In a big skillet, add the olive oil, shallot, and garlic and warmth over medium-high warmth. Gently sauté till they start to melt.
Add within the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, ginger, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir till mixed.
Simmer for 1 hour, stirring often till the chutney reduces to a jammy consistency.
As soon as cooked, take away from warmth and mash by hand or pulse in a meals processor or blender. I lprefer chutney on the chunkier facet, however be happy to make it chunky or easy.
Enable to chill and serve, or retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge till prepared to make use of.
Serving2tablespoonsEnergy73kcal (4%)Carbohydrates14g (5%)Protein1g (2%)Fats2g (3%)Saturated Fats0.3g (2%)Polyunsaturated Fats0.3gMonounsaturated Fats1gSodium301mg (13%)Potassium252mg (7%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar12g (13%)Vitamin A797IU (16%)Vitamin C13mg (16%)Calcium22mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary data is predicated on third occasion calculations and is just an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.